Friday, July 30, 2010

Does it matter if bread recipe calls for metal and all I have is glass?

The bread recipe says to put the metal bread pan in a cold oven and then turn to 300 degrees and bake for 1.5 hours.Do I need to alter this recipe for a glass bread pan?Does it matter if bread recipe calls for metal and all I have is glass?
Not really just check on it a little more often should get done 5 to 10 minutes sooner.Does it matter if bread recipe calls for metal and all I have is glass?
Personally, I like glass bakeware for things like bread pudding. You can store the pudding inside the container after it's baked, when using glass. For metal pans, I remove the pudding to a storage container.





Note: I misread your question. I do bake bread all the time in glass loaf pans. I really like them so much better than metal. Yes, you can reduce the heat down 25 degrees, I never do, but you can actually see if the bread is done in glass loaf pans.





Another tip: Use an instant read thermometer to take the bread's temperature. Most bread is done when the temperature reaches 200 to 205 degrees F.
Metal conducts heat, glass is much worse. I'd say just watch the bread. take your knife every once and a while and stick in into the bread, if it comes back with anything but crumbs keep going. if your doing more than one batch and the first doesn't work, turn down the heat 20-25 degrees and let it go longer. I'm sorry i'm no expert but i have done some breads.





um... i thought I was right but, the ';top contributor'; about me disagrees, i'd go with her answer, not mine lol.
it shouldnt really matter.
Glass gets hotter than metal, so your bread may burn in the glass pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment