Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Does anyone have a really good Bread Recipe?

I need one that I can use in bread maker. 1.5 to 2 lb recipe. Thanks. I don't like the ones in my book I got with the machine.Does anyone have a really good Bread Recipe?
I use half teaspoon dried yeast, 400 grams of flour (mix of wholemeal and strong white flour in whatever balance I fancy on the day, sometimes I use more white but generally I like a wholemeal loaf better), 1 tspn salt and 1 tblspn of sugar but instead of using butter I add 15 grammes of virgin olive oil and then about 300 ml of water and put in the breadmaker on the 5 hours programme





the teaspoon and tablespoon measure I use came with the breadmaker.





I have found that it is worth using the correct amount of salt and sugar otherwise the bread tastes horrid and when you make your own there will certainly be less salt and sugar than in a bought loafDoes anyone have a really good Bread Recipe?
Ignore that machine and do this instead:





Fool-proof No-Knead Crusty Bread





Mix (with whisk)


2 cups All-Purpose Flour


2 cups Bread Flour


陆 teaspoon Dry Yeast


1 陆 teaspoon Salt (generous)


Add and mix (with hands)


2 cups water (or a little more)


Dough will be loose and ragged鈥t鈥檚 OK.


Cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth


Let sit 14-22 hours (should be doubled or better in size and bubbly).


Punch down and re-cover (here is where you could add Cheese, Rosemary, etc.)


Let sit 2 hours (should be doubled or better in size and bubbly).


Preheat over and covered over-proof pan to 450潞.


(Optional: 1 TBSP Olive Oil and 1 TBSP Corn Meal in bottom of pan)


Dump dough into pan and cover.


Bake 30 minutes covered.


Remove cover.


Bake 20 minutes uncovered.


Cool on wire rack (or cool, unused stove burner).





Elapsed time: 16-24 hours


Cook time: 50 minutes


Active time: Less than 10 minutes


Homemade Bread: Delicious!
flour, water, salt, and egg wash. Marty Jean B.

No comments:

Post a Comment