Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can you bake a basic bread recipe without using a loaf pan?

I don't have a loaf pan, but prefer the artisan style....would it be a problem to make a basic bread recipe and just place a round mound of the dough, divided in two, onto a baking sheet?Can you bake a basic bread recipe without using a loaf pan?
I do it all the time. If you want it to look really artisan style then shape it, let it rise, throw a little extra dusting of flour on and cut a few slashes in the top with a very sharp knife. While it's baking throw a few ice cubes in the oven every time you check it and it will insure a brown crunchy crust. Yummy.Can you bake a basic bread recipe without using a loaf pan?
I don't think that would be a problem at all. It is just the shape of the bread that would be different. You might need to cut slits in the top of the dough for steam to escape. I may try this myself, I like bread and have used the basic recipe, but I get tired of the same old loaf. Good luck
Absolutely. I bake bread about twice a week and use a cookie sheet. The only time I use my loaf pans is for quick breads and meatloaf. Have fun, you can make shapes, braid them, tons of stuff.





I usually go for a French loaf, baguette, or round.
Sure! Just make sure you sprinkle the baking sheets with cornmeal first so the dough will slide. Try investing in a baking stone--now that makes a gorgeous loaf of bread!


Good luck to you and happy baking!
No
I've done it - but have always stuffed the bread first, cheese/pepperoni...





For me, it works, but if you're looking for an artisan bread, then basic bread dough isn't for you. It's not as dense, won't have the same mouth feel, or texture. You need to find a recipe for the specific bread you're looking for.





Sorry.
You don't have to bake it free form. You can also use a casserole or heavy cake pan. But the baking sheet would also work. (I wouldn't use cornmeal, I don't like that texture, I would butter the pan.)
yeah no problem... many a loaf has been baked like that!
Not at all, the best breads are made this way. You can also experiment with muffin cups, round baking pans, and casserole dishes. It still makes bread no matter the shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment