Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can I make my bread recipe using brown sugar instead of white?

I also have confectioners sugar, or splenda.... will any of these work for a basic white bread recipe?Can I make my bread recipe using brown sugar instead of white?
I make bread in a machine everyday.





DO NOT substitute Splenda for sugar.!!


Brown sugar works well for bread, and give it a nice color as the first responder stated. You should be able to sub TBL. for TBL.


Powdered sugar I do not think will work as it is a different compound than brown or white sugar.





Have you ever bought cheap wheat bread that is not whole grain... that is sort of how brown sugar will alter the color taste of the bread. Brown sugar works very well if you are using other flours besides white wheat. such as whole wheat, rye.Can I make my bread recipe using brown sugar instead of white?
Splenda should be fine used as a direct substitute, brown sugar will change the taste, consistancy, and color.
brown sugar woudl work best of what you've got! Will add a nice homestyle color, too, to the bread.
No, because brown sugar will give it a dark color and give it a super sweet, maple syrupy kind of taste. Confectionary sugar will also not do because it will clump the bread and splenda is just going to give it the wierd, too sweet flavor.
Your best bet is to use the exact sugar it calls for.


I THINK Splenda might do the trick but since I do not use it I'm not sure.


Whatever you do do not use brown sugar or powdered sugar because they will straight up ruin your bread.


From the sounds of it you're not an experienced baker, and until you are, doing exactly as the recipe calls for in baking is a must.








Good luck, hope it turns out -Corbyn

No comments:

Post a Comment