Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can I make this bread recipe any better for me?

The ingredients are:


1 1/4 cups water


1 1/2 tbs. skim milk powder


1 1/2 tbs. shortening


1 1/2 tbs. sugar


1 tsp. salt


3 cups whole wheat flour


1 1/2 tsp. instant yeast





Can I substitute anything healthier for possibly the shortening and the sugar in this recipe?Can I make this bread recipe any better for me?
These are the ingredients I use to my healthy whole wheat bread twice a week (in the bread maker). Everybody loves the flavor also.





1 cup yogurt


1 cup water


2 tbs. skim milk powder


2 tbs. canola oil


2 tbs. blackstrap molasses (for iron and other minerals) or honey


1 tsp. salt


3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour


3 tbs sesame seeds (optional, but gives additional calcium %26amp; protein)


1 1/2 tsp. instant yeastCan I make this bread recipe any better for me?
I wouldn't alter the sugar--it feeds the yeast in addition to providing flavor and contributing to proper browning. To your body, it's just another carbohydrate, and there's only a T and a half in the whole loaf anyway, which is very little on a per-serving-slice basis.


If you're concerned about trans fats, there's no reason why you couldn't use vegetable oil in place of the shortening when a bread recipe calls for so little fat in the first place.


Otherwise, it looks quite nice as a bread recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment