Saturday, August 21, 2010

Will a stock pot work for this bread recipe?

I got a recipe(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?ex=1320642000%26amp;en=d5976d62a4577548%26amp;ei=5088%26amp;partner=rssnyt%26amp;emc=rss) that has been getting great review from coworkers.





The problem is the largest enameled ware I have is a 4 qt, not big enough for this. However, I do have a 8qt stock pot of good quality(cuisinart), reputed to be oven safe up to 550F.





So do you think it would be an okay substitute for a 6 to 8 qt heavy covered pot? The recipe calls for a preheat of 30 minutes at 500F and bakes the bread for another 30 min covered and additional 15 to 30 min uncovered.





My concern is how safe is it to expose the stainless steel pot under such high temperature for such long time. Am I just better off skip the pot all together.





Thanks a lot.Will a stock pot work for this bread recipe?
Stacy,





I suspect the biggest problem you will face is that the bread may stick to the steel unless your pan is seasoned--it is a very sticky dough.





It sounds like you have a lot of questions about the No-Knead bread recipe. I recommend you read the following blog by expert bread baker Rose Levy Beranbaum. Also search her blog as there are multiple posts with a lot of info (including the comments).





I didn't have a pot either, so I baked this bread free form on a baking sheet lined with silpat (an option she mentions). The bread will turn out just a good--the only difference is that it will be about 1/2 inch shorter than the one made in the pot (the sides of the pot give height to the loaf). I would choose this option over the stainless steel pot. Good luck!





P.S. She also gives a half recipe for a smaller pot.Will a stock pot work for this bread recipe?
%26lt;%26gt;I could not bring up your recipe, but I would have concerns about using a stockpot for an oven recipe. The thin-walled pot may conduct heat unevenly and give undesired results. Ovenware is generally quite thick-walled in order to disperse the heat better. How about halving the recipe to fit your ovenware (again, I can't see it so don't know if this is possible).
Do you own a crock pot? Those that are removable are oven safe. But I would not use stainless steel pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment