Saturday, August 21, 2010

Could I substitute oil for butter in my bread recipe?

I bake my own bread in an automatic bread maker...it's quick and easy, and the bread comes out great. Anyway, the recipe I make, honey whole wheat, calls for 1.5 Tb softened butter. I hate having to soften the butter and I know it's not good for you, so I was wondering, could I substitute in an oil, such as olive or sesame seed oil? Or would that screw up the bread?Could I substitute oil for butter in my bread recipe?
You could use olive oil, but not sesame oil. Sesame oil is to be used sparingly as a seasoning, not a substitute for other fats or oils. Oil has about 20% more fat than butter, so use about 1 1/4 T olive oil.Could I substitute oil for butter in my bread recipe?
You can substitute oil for the butter but remember it will make your bread taste different. Good luck.
No. Butter and oil don't have the same make up. Don't think they are switchable
Yes you can substitute oil. Why not canola or sunflower they are milder than the two you mentioned. I would also put a tablespoon of dried milk powder, to make up for the milk solids in butter. Many of my bread recipes call for it.
I suppose you could. It would be healthier if you used the olive or sesame seed oil, but I'd use olive before I'd use sesame seed. The taste will change, too. Good luck!
you could try it and see but i don't think it would turn out. aslo 1.5 tb of butter is not bad for you actually butter is better for you then most oils (except olive)
olive oil is a wonderful substitute. check the web for Mediterranean cooking with oils. Good luck!
why not use low fat butter or margarine?

No comments:

Post a Comment