Monday, August 23, 2010

I would like to replace the oil in my bread recipe with applesauce or yogurt.?

Has anyone tried it? What was the difference?I would like to replace the oil in my bread recipe with applesauce or yogurt.?
While you are at it you can replace some of the flour with almond meal (ground almonds) for more fiber and nutrition.I would like to replace the oil in my bread recipe with applesauce or yogurt.?
that sounds like something that would work better in cake, I can't quite immagine the texture while kneeding. but it's certainly worth a try :)
I've never tried yogurt.





Applesauce works wonderfully for me.





The difference was not noticable.
Actually you can't completely do away with the oil, it needed to make the bread recipe work properly. The oil or fat in the recipe is part of a chemical reaction that has to take place for the bread to rise properly. It helps a protein called gluten to become elastic and help the bread dough to retain the air that makes the bread rise, so you would be best to leave a portion of the oil in but if there is fat in the yogurt you could use it to replace say 3/4 of the oil in your recipe. Apple sauce, not so much-you could use it to replace some of the sugar though.
I assume it would make it more moist without altering the taste


But instead of replacing the oil completely, try cutting down on the oil as you add the apple sauce or yogurt


Just don't forget to coat the sides of the pan with butter and flour and you should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment